Lazanias, is a historic village, unknown to a lot of people. Throughout the centuries, it has preserved a remarkable authenticity while at the same time the Greek character of its inhabitants has safeguarded morals, customs, religion and tradition. We should emphasize this because a farm of the Lusignan Crusaders has given rise to the foundation of this village. The village name "Lazanias" is an alteration of the word "Lusignan".
The more the village remains unknown, the more the history of its church, dedicated to Saint George remains unknown. It is a wood carved church built in 1855. Ten years later, a priest monk gilded the iconostasis on his own expenses. Up there, one can read the following inscription:
GILDED ON THE EXPESES OF
PRIEST MONK MITROPHANIS
MAIN SACRISTAN 1865
WRITTEN BY IOANNIS M. Z.
A vegetal decoration which looks like a painted work of art, drifts the eyes because of the strange way that it trails over the roof and decorates it. The carved gynaeconitis of the small church is also a work of art. The three earthenware jars that are planted on the floor of the church are the most extraordinary thing that surprises the visitor. It is said that they were useful for the better acoustics of the Mass.
Lazaniades, as the inhabitants of the village are named by Leontios Machairas in his Chronicle, are all Christian Orthodox with a great ancestors' generation of priests. It is worth noting that for centuries now, the Monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary up in Machairas mountains silently looks on the village and a lot of monks have lived there. Some of them have risen to high ranks of the religious hierarchy.
Church service: One Sunday once a month
Tel.: +357 99 374 944 (Mrs Phryne Papadopoulou)
+357 99 609 891 (Mr. Demetris Papas, President of Church Committee).