The fort of Nea Pafos (Paphos) is located at the west end of the harbor. It was built during the Frankish occupation in the 13th century in order to replace the Byzantine castle of 'Saranta Kolones'. The fort has only one entrance on its east side and very small windows. Its main part is a big square tower that has an enclosed courtyard in the middle. The Venetians dismantled the fort in 1570 so that the Ottomans, who had begun their conquest of the island, would not use it. According to a Turkish inscription placed above the entrance the Ottomans rebuilt the fort in 1780. Nearby are the ruins of a second fort, which was probably built in the same period.