The Municipal Market of Lemesos (Limassol), a large, stone - built structure, consisting of big halls and shops occupying an area of 3000 square metres , is situated in the old town. It was built in 1917 but took its present form in 1947. Until the 1970s, the market and the surrounding shops constituted the centre of trade and other commercial and social activities of the town. But it began to decline after that date because of the rapid expansion of the city. It is now a listed building and part of the Lemesos (Limassol) Municipality project to upgrade the market’s role and importance.