The exact date of the fort’s construction is not known. According to Etienne de Lusignan, it was built in 1193 by the founder of the Lusignan dynasty, Guy de Lusignan but the first official reference to the fort dates to 1228, during the involvement of Frederic II of Germany in the affairs of Cyprus. Through the years, the fort suffered the assaults of many invaders, sustaining further damage in the earthquakes of 1567 and 1568. Finally, in 1590, the Ottomans rebuilt the fort in its current form. The original fort was larger than the later one, which incorporates some parts of the former building, such as the two oblong halls of the ground floor. Below the eastern hall there is a basement with cells, which was used as a prison until 1950. Today, the fort houses the Medieval Museum of Cyprus.
Accessibility: Non wheelchair accessible
Tel: +357 25 305 419