Pafos Gate

Pafos Gate was one of the three gates in the walls built by the Venetians around Lefkosia (Nicosia). The road beginning immediately outside the gate led southwest to the town of Pafos (Paphos), hence the name. It was also known as ‘Gate of San Domenico’, because it replaced an earlier gate of the Frankish walls, called ‘Porta di San Domenico’ after the nearby abbey of San Domenico. The gate is a simple affair, an opening in the wall roofed by a barrel vault. During British occupation in 1878, part of the walls between the Gate and the Roccas Bastion was demolished to create a new opening. Pafos Gate Police Station is just above the original gate.

 

Lefkosia
Lefkosia
All year round
Holy Cross Catholic Church
A beautiful church that dates back to 1900
Cyprus Archaeological Museum
Traces the long history of civilization on the island from prehistoric times to the early Christian period
  

PRESS & PROFESSIONALS | ABOUT US | TERMS OF USE | SITEMAP | BOARD OF DIRECTORS | DIRECTOR GENERAL | ORGANIZATION CHART | CTO EMPLOYEE SEARCH