The Archontiko (mansion) of Hadjigeorgakis Kornesios is the house where the dragoman Hadjigeorgakis Kornesios and his family lived between 1793 and 1808.
The dragoman acted as interpreter between the Christian population and the Ottoman governor.
The mansion is one of the most important examples of Cypriot urban architecture of the 18th century and is now open to the public as a museum. It is a big, two - storey, stone - built house, located in the old city of Lefkosia, not far away from the Archbishop’s Palace. The house consists of three wings, arranged in a Π around an inner courtyard surrounded by a portico. The main entrance is located on the north side and is bordered by two rooms. The oblong hall in the east wing on the ground floor was probably used as a stable and led to a secondary courtyard. The kitchen, the bathroom, two storerooms and the stairway that led to the upper floor were in the west wing. Of the many rooms on the first floor, the most important were the room with the family’s religious relics and the room where the family welcomed guests (ondas). This room preserves much of its original painted decoration. The large central hall has a closed balcony projecting above the main entrance of the house.
The building was awarded the Europa Nostra Award in 1988.
4,50 Euro. There is a reduction of 20% for groups of visitors
consisting of more than ten persons. The Director of the
Department can issue special entry cards for a period of one
day for €8,50 for a period of three days for €17,00 and for a
period of seven days for €25,00.