Holy Cross Catholic Church
Situated at Pafos Gate just within the old walled city of Lefkosia (Nicosia), the Holy Cross Catholic Church dates back to 1900 and caters for the capital’s Roman Catholic community – both local and foreign. It was built on the site of an older church dedicated to the Holy Cross that was constructed in 1642 and remained in use until the end of the 19th century before it was pulled down to make room for the current building. The first stone of the present church was blessed on April 8, 1900 and the church was inaugurated in 1902. The cost was partly covered by the Royal Family of Spain and partly by the Franciscan Friars.

The Spanish influence is still very much in evidence, especially in a number of wooden statues of the saints and the coat of arms of the Royal House of Spain in the decorated ceiling. The Friary beside the church was rebuilt in 1959. The church has an elegant and simple façade, but does not belong to a definite style. The decorated ceiling is in the shape of a barrel vault. At the tympanum over the entrance there is a stained glass rose window with the Cross of Jerusalem. Below the rose window, is a coat of arms of the Custody of the Holy Land. There are 10 chapels inside. The sanctuary was renovated in 1998. Changes included the addition of a stained glass window. At the two sides of the altar are wooden statues of the Virgin Mary and St Joseph. Inside the arches there are 14 Stations of the Cross recalling the Passion of the Lord.

Tel: +357 22 662 132, Fax: +357 22 660 767



Lefkosia
Pafos Gate, Lefkosia
holcross@logos.cy.net
www.cypruscatholicchurch.org
Pafos Gate
One of the three gates in the Venetian fortification of the old city of Lefkosia (Nicosia)
1st Local Route: Lefkosia – Old City of Lefkosia Religious Route
Among other ecclesiastical monuments, admire the impressive Byzantine Museum and Agios Ioannis Cathedral
  

PRESS & PROFESSIONALS | ABOUT US | TERMS OF USE | SITEMAP | BOARD OF DIRECTORS | DIRECTOR GENERAL | ORGANIZATION CHART | CTO EMPLOYEE SEARCH